Helping Humans and Horses
Kathryn Guylay and Cheryl Bennett
What are the appropriate grade levels?
Kindergarten through 6th grade
Is there a limit to the number of participants?
Is there an opportunity for community service?
The goal of Helping Humans and Horses is to empower students with information about nutrition for themselves as well as all living creatures. Food is fuel, and we need to understand how to fuel ourselves for optimal energy and performance. The project is collaborative with Swiftsure Ranch and Nurture, combining in-class lessons from Nurture with a “finale” field trip to the ranch to visit the beautiful therapy horses.
- Students will learn about the importance of nutrition and its role in keeping all living things healthy.
- They will specifically learn about go vs. slow foods, my plate, the role of advertising in food, and sugar.
- The class will learn how we are interconnected to all living things, and experience (through the field trip) the healing power of horses.
Class Visits & Field Trips
- 1st in-class visit (go/slow foods and MyPlate) by Nurture
- 2nd in-class visit (Be Ad Smart and Sugar Sugar!) by Nurture
- 1 field trip to Swiftsure Ranch including presentation of check to help feed horses– which in turn help humans.