Restore a Creek Bank!
Wood River Land Trust
What are the appropriate grade levels:
4th through 8th grade
Is there a limit to the number of participants:
Is there an opportunity for community service:
Is this a new or existing project:
Elkhorn Creek, which runs along the bike path on Elkhorn Road in Sun Valley, needs your help! A number of years ago, a berm – a small raised hill – was added next to the creek. This made the area less natural, which isn’t good for the water, plants, or animals. This fall, the Wood River Land Trust is removing the berm, and that means that new plants have to be planted in the spring! Join us for this half-day adventure in the field.
- Students will learn the components of a healthy riparian (river or stream) corridor.
- Students will learn about the other plants and animals that live in the sagebrush community, and the difference between obligate and facultative species.
- Students will learn the importance of riparian corridors to our local ecosystem.
- Students will plant native plants to help restore a popular section of Elkhorn Creek, along the bike path in Sun Valley
Class Visits & Field Trips
- 1 half-day field trip to Elkhorn Creek in May